Well, there it is. My first attempt at dying a gi. Honestly, I didn’t do that great a job. I was very hopeful, after having seen Georgette’s awesome kimonos. But, still, despite some flaws, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I learned some things that lead me to believe that my next try will go a lot better.
As you can see in the picture above, the patches and the red thread didn’t take the dye. Overall, it turned out really well. The only problem is some red bleeding from something. I think it was the red cord on the trousers, but it could also have been my club patches.
After dying it, I washed it on super hot, “sanitary” wash and dried it completely in the dryer. As you can see, it shrunk. I’m comfortable wearing it, but it’s a little small now, to be honest. This is going to vary from gi to gi, but the SYR is a little small for competition now. I am going to get a Gameness Pearl that I’m sure won’t shrink like that, hopefully for my next try.
There’s also a process called “Batik” that I’m interested in.